CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 9, 2007

How Much Is Too Much?

Alot of the buzz so far in the baseball offseason has centered around Joe Torre and Alex Rodriquez. Now that we know where Joe Torre has landed the focus is centered on A-Rod. I was reading an article today and when I read over the part that said A-Rod opted out of his 10-year, 252 million dollar contract I felt like I wanted to slap somebody. So what does he want, somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 million dollars!!! 250-300-350 million what really is the difference, I think this really just shows greed and selfishness on his part. I am not sure that I would want to be on a team with someone who is never happy with just being a baseball player.

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about the worth of a few of the MLB teams. I believe they said the Tampa Bay Devil Rays were worth around 290 million dollars. They said why not just sign the team over to him and say come and play, the whole team is yours. The truth is I am not sure that would make him happy either.

So my question is, WHY would a team fork out this kind of money on a single player when they can get 3-4 GREAT players for the same dough. We have seen in todays game that it does not always take the team that is willing to spend the most money, but really the team that has the complete package and usually the guys who truly love the game. I know there are probably not too many GM's going to log into this blog, but give me your thoughts on this and let me know what you think a teams mindset is when spending this much money.

0 opinions: